It's the time of year when we focus on spending time with our loved ones and practicing gratitude. If you've been invited to attend a holiday dinner at someone else's home, this November, don't forget to show your gratitude with a thoughtful gift for your host or hostess. At French Florist, serving Los Angeles and the surrounding areas, our professional florists and gift designers have been busy compiling a list of creative hostess gift ideas for Thanksgiving and Friendsgiving.
Why It's Customary to Arrive with a Gift for Your Host
When you've been invited to someone's home for a sit-down dinner, it's customary to bring a gift for your host or hostess. This gift is a way of politely saying, 'thank you for having me.' Choosing something thoughtful, beautiful, and/or useful is great. You should bring a hostess gift even if it's a potluck-style meal. Even though your host isn't doing all the cooking, it still takes a lot of work to organize the meal and prepare one's house for guests.
Great Gift Ideas for Any Thanksgiving or Friendsgiving Host
Friendsgiving is just like Thanksgiving, but for buddies. It's usually scheduled for either the Wednesday before, the Wednesday after Thanksgiving Day, or another day when everyone's available. Friendsgiving is a chance to sit down for a nice dinner, share gratitude, and spend quality time with your best friends. When choosing a gift for your host or hostess, remember that fun is always on the table at Friendsgiving!
- Games to play after dinner (just be sure to choose ones that don't limit the number of players)
- A cheerful and festive floral arrangement to make the event feel like a special occasion
- A pair of fuzzy socks featuring your hostess's favorite animal, turkeys, or pumpkins
- Spa products, like bath bombs, to help your host relax after the evening
- A set of funny fridge magnets that'll make your host smile throughout the year
- A set of elegant stemless wine glasses for a future party
2. Thanksgiving with Your In-Laws
Regardless of whether you've known your in-laws for years or will be meeting your significant other's parents for the first time, you shouldn't arrive to their home empty-handed on Thanksgiving Day. Be sure to choose a tasteful gift that'll convey your sincere gratitude for them opening up their family, hearts, and holiday traditions to you.
- An elegant floral centerpiece with pretty autumn accents
- A stylish cheese board with matching cheese markers
- High-quality serving utensils (everyone always needs more of these at Thanksgiving dinner)
- A pretty box of chocolates crafted in your hometown
- A sea salt sampler for your foody in-laws
- Whiskey stones and a bottle of spirits
- A basket filled with gourmet jams, butters, and spreads for Friday morning
3. Thanksgiving with Your Family
If you're going to your parents' or grandparents' home for Thanksgiving, you still shouldn't arrive without a gift ' no matter how at-home you feel in your childhood home. Show them how thankful you are for their hard work and presence in your life with a thoughtful gift. Choose something you know they'll love or bring a gift that'll help everyone enjoy the day.
- Holiday cookie cutters
- Fancy hand soap so everyone washes
- Gourmet coffee to brew with dessert
- Sparkling cider so everyone has a fancy drink to sip
- Activities to keep the kids busy, like a craft project or game
- A set of decorative dish towels
- A nice bottle of wine
When in Doubt, Remember Flowers Are Always Appropriate
If you're still not sure what type of gift would be most appropriate for your host or hostess, we recommend a beautiful floral arrangement because you can never go wrong with flowers! Be sure to bring an arrangement or centerpiece with flowers that have already been cut and arranged because your host will likely not have time to trim and arrange freshly cut flower stems.
For personalized recommendations and assistance selecting a floral gift for your Thanksgiving hostess, we welcome you to stop by one of our French Florist showrooms. Our expert florists will help you select an arrangement, bouquet, or centerpiece designed especially for the season.